> After reading that, I think it might be possible that I burnt the
> images correctly, but I simply did not make the CD's bootable.  I was
> using k3b to burn the images, but I might just have a go at it with
> Nero.  Thanks!

The CD image that you download from the FreeBSD site is already a
bootable ISO.   It needs to be written to the CD as a raw file and
not converted or processed in any way.  It should not be put in a
file system on the CD or processed to be bootable, or etc.   It is
already a complete CD image.

////jerry