It's a netgear router. The thing is, it does go way over 2 min. Here's what it does. When I am initially booting off the disk and it checks the hardware for the first time it turns it yellow. Then, when I first try to connect to an ftp it turns it green but it never connects. When I hit ctrl c and then choose restart installation, it takes me back for a new installation and the light remains green.
When I set everything up again, it says my filesystem was written correctly, it connects to the ftp, it starts a download, then it tells me the filesystem is full.

Your router light turning yellow could be an indication that it has been reset and has entered an "auto-negotiation" mode where it determines what speed to configure itself as, i.e., either 10 or 100.

Try waiting until it turns green to proceed with the install, rather than aborting and restarting. I think it should take no more than 30 seconds, but time it with a stopwatch. Anything over 2 minutes is WAY too long.

What kind of router are you talking about?