On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 09:54:15AM +0100 or thereabouts, Jonathan Belson wrote:

> For the last few months, I've had a problem where a small number (less
> than ~1 in 1000) of e-mails get corrupted.  All I have in my Maildir
> is something like the following two lines:

> Here is my .qmail, which runs SpamAssassin on the incoming e-mail for
> this account:
>
> |/usr/local/bin/spamassassin | /usr/local/bin/maildir /home/jon/Maildir/
> #./Maildir/

> I'm inclined to blame SpamAssassin since I saw a similar problem when
> I had it misconfigured before - that was easy to track down since it
> wrote error messages in the system log left (missing p5 package).  This
> time there are no error messages, and the problem only occurs very
> occasionally.
>
> Has anyone else seen this before?  Any clues on what could be going
> wrong?  Disabling SpamAssassin would make e-mail unusable since I
> get hundreds of spam e-mails a day.

well, Jon, if you look above the "#" in a dot qmail file means to drop the
email and not deliver.

also, you are running S/A as a very expensive daemon above, calling the
main S/A for each mail received...

If you must do it this way, please see

http://www.magma.com.ni/~jorge/spamassassin.html

I think a better way is to use the S/A client in a .qmail file, and have
the S/A daemon running... A very nice way to do this is at.

http://www.gbnet.net/~jrg/qmail/ifspamh/

You can put this in any or all .qmail- files you have, and this works
well.

--
Gary