So, it is my understanding that I did in fact do things right (or that is
to say that The Complete FreeBSD had the right directions.  But that
something else went wrong.

BTW, I installed 4.8 from scratch.  Then spent a couple of days preparing
to do a cvsup making sure that I set everything up right (sources:
Complete FreeBSD, freebsd.org, and this list.

Then I did the cvsup.  Everything else I've already written about in a
previous letter.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that booting into an old kernel is an
option.  I have looked at the files on my system and there is no
kernel.old or anything like it. There is only a kernel directory under the
/boot/ directory.

What information do I need to provide to perhaps salvage this system?
And what steps did I possibly miss?

Curtis