[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hello. I'm using an old Gateway Pentium 90mhz, w/ 72MB of RAM - I don't actually know what kind of controller, but there is a second hard drive (Western Digital IDE) in the computer. I made the boot floppies for release 4.10 as indicated in the handbook and so on, and I got to the point in the installation where you select Quick, Standard, Custom. So I go to select "Standard," and the message comes up indicating the need to create (a) partition(s) to install FreeBSD. When I hit ok, I get a message saying that no disks were found on which to install FreeBSD and that I should check to see if the disks are being properly probed. The following is what appears in the device probing (I only selected parts that seemed either relevant or out of sorts):

Intel Pentium detected, installing workaround for F00F bug
atapci0: RZ 100 ATA controller !WARNING! buggy chip data loss possible>port 0x3f4-0x3f7, 0x1f0-0x1f7 at device 1.0 on pci0
atapci0: Busmastering DMA not supported
atapci0: Busmastering DMA disabled
ata2: at 0x1f0 on atapci0
ata2: unable to allocate interrupt
device_probe_and_attach: ata2 attach returned 6
isab0: <Intel 82378ZB PCI to ISA bridge> at device 2.0 on pci0
isa0: <ISA bus> on isab0
.
.
.
acd0: failure to execute ATAPI packet command
acd0: CDROM <NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:260> at ata1-master BIOSPIO

(Also, when I tried again to do the standard installation but had the debugging option set, and I switched over to view the debugging info, these two messages seemed relevant:)

"Can't open PC-card controller"
"Can't open USB controller"

I know I sound hopelessly ignorant and newbie-like, but any help anyone could offer would be so much appreciated.

Does the BIOS program show these disks?

Did you "skip kernel configuration"?  This box might be
old enough to have some driver conflicts that the kernel
can't resolve without your help...I'd certainly think that
to be a possibility with the dmesg stating "unable to allocate
interrupt".  Try changing the hardware config, either in
the "kernel configuration" screen, or by removing some
ISA card via the BIOS, or even physically, and see what
happens.

My $0.02, (probably not even worth that....)

Kevin Kinsey