Brent Bailey skrev:

forgive me for posting this twice...i forgot what email address is allowd
on this list...anywho..

Well it's your lucky day!

Im running a freebsd 4.10 and the other morning i noticed this in my
"ps -ax" output.

13560 ?? Is 0:00.00 portmap 218.49.183.17

Now ive denied portmap from /etc/hosts.allow ...however accrding to the
above ps listing ...this IP managed to make a connection to portmap ..
what portmap used for ?? and does this mean the box has been compromised ?

thank you in advance for any help

man portmap

PORTMAP(8) FreeBSD System Manager's Manual PORTMAP(8)

NAME
     portmap -- RPC program,version to DARPA port mapper

SYNOPSIS
     portmap [-d] [-v] [-h bindip]

DESCRIPTION
Portmap is a server that converts RPC program numbers into DARPA protocol
port numbers. It must be running in order to make RPC calls.