So, could someone tell me if my system is salvageable or not and what I need to do?
Or, should I just start over?

Curtis

On 21 Aug, 2004, at 17:06, Curtis Vaughan wrote:

So, it is my understanding that I did in fact do things right (or that is
to say that The Complete FreeBSD had the right directions. But that
something else went wrong.

BTW, I installed 4.8 from scratch. Then spent a couple of days preparing
to do a cvsup making sure that I set everything up right (sources:
Complete FreeBSD, freebsd.org, and this list.

Then I did the cvsup.  Everything else I've already written about in a
previous letter.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that booting into an old kernel is an
option. I have looked at the files on my system and there is no
kernel.old or anything like it. There is only a kernel directory under the
/boot/ directory.

What information do I need to provide to perhaps salvage this system?
And what steps did I possibly miss?

Curtis

"Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Yup.  Go back to the top --- I missed where
in your list of steps you actually *installed*
the new kernel...

That would be where he said:

make kernel

which is equivalent to "make buildkernel installkernel".

It doesn't explain quite what's happening here, though -- and he
didn't even *hint* at such basic clues as what version he was updating
from or to (there may be extra steps for large updating jumps).

Booting the old kernel is certainly worth a try before starting over,
though; the system is quite likely to be salvageable.