On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:28:13 -0700
"Jay O'Brien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I finally have XFree86 working, at least to the point that
> I can type "X" and get the expected grid and "X" mouse cursor.
>
> That in itself doesn't seem very useful, but it works.
>
> As a learning exercise, which Desktop environment should I
> install as a first effort, and how do I run it?
>
> I'm referring to the FreeBSD Handbook at:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11-wm.html
> Desktop Environments
>
> I intend to install Mozilla as a browser, in case that makes
> any difference.
>
> Also, what is the mechanism that interprets the "X" command to
> run XFree86?

Well any thing in ~/.xinitrc will be started when you run startx.  If
you are using xdm it will be ~/.xsession. Man xinit for more info. :)

Here are a few fun places to start...
http://xwinman.org/
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/x11.html
browse till you find one that fits you and then install it and try it
out. :)

BTW if you are new to X and not found it yet X -configure and xf86cfg
-textmode are your friend when creating a new config file for X :)