--On Thursday, August 26, 2004 12:07:26 AM -0700 Joshua Tinnin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

OK, I have searched the archives, and I can't find that my question has
been answered previously, but please forgive me if that's incorrect.

I'm using (or rather trying to use) cron to update my ports tree daily.
I've tried several different combinations without success, and lately
this is what I have in my crontab file:

/usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2 /home/krinklyfig/supfiles/ports-supfile
&& /usr/local/bin/portindex && /usr/local/sbin/portsdb -u

It runs as root once a day. What appears to be happening is that the
cvsup is happening, but portindex is not, and because of the latter
portsdb -u doesn't either. The reason I know cvsup is working is
because portindex indicates that the ports tree has been updated if I
run it manually later, but running portversion before manually running
portindex will not indicate any changes. The cron log doesn't show
anything but the commands being executed. So, my question is: is this
type of command valid, or should each command be separate? Or is it not
working for some other reason?

Just out of curiosity, why would you use cron rather than /etc/periodic/daily?

Paul Schmehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member