From: Dan Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Gerald S. Stoller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Stable version of  FreeBSD 5.0
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:04:36 -0500

In the last episode (Aug 25), Gerald S. Stoller said:
> I have the impression from reading the McGraw Hill book on this version
> ("The Complete Reference FreeBSD") that the 1024 cylinder limit (in the
> boot loader) may have gone away with this release. Is that true, and if
> so, what is the new limit? Any other significant changes? Also, about
> when is this release due to come out?

The 1024-cylinder limit hasn't been a problem for years.  I believe the
loader has always supported it, and the boot block has a "packet" mode
I haven't heard (or read) about this at all (nor has a friend who uses Linux ),
where can I find out about the "packet" mode and how to use it. I'm running
FreeBSD version 4.3 (also have version 4.7 but I'm not using it much), does it
have this "packet" mode?
you can turn on that lets you boot from partitions that start past the
1024-cyl limit.

--
        Dan Nelson
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]