Ruben de Groot wrote:

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 05:04:08PM +0100, Soo-Hyun Choi typed:

A couple of people suggested to read the ifconfig man page. I do
understand the ifconfig, and I can change the IP settings using
ifconfig without re-booting the system.

What I wondered was a way of editing rc.conf directly and how I can it
be working without re-boot the system. As Nikos suggested, it would
not be a good way if there is only one way to go for it by using
'shutdown now' command; as it kills all the running processes.

I believe in FreeBSD 5.x, soon to become -stable, all you need to do in this case is /etc/rc.d/netif restart

Ruben

Also look at the "netstart" script in /etc/.

What the "man ifconfig" guys were trying to say was
something like this (using xl0 as an example interface):

$ifconfig xl0 down
$ifconfig xl0 new.ip.add.ress -options
$ifconfig xl0 up

However, if you're changing another setting
(like defaultrouter, etc.) you'll want to use one
of the scripts; that could be what you meant, I
guess ... although there are other ways to do
most of those things as well....

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.