it was said:

>Can I plug in an ATM DS3 into something like a Cisco Lightstream
LS1010
>with a DS3 card, then plug a PC running FreeBSD and Quagga, with a
>Marconi Forerunner HE155 using the fatm() driver, into a OC3 card on
>the LS1010, then define a VC, switch it through the switch,
>and run data over that?

>However I have not dealt yet with ATM switches, is there anything
>inherently different about ATM on a lan adapter like the HE155, and
>ATM on a DS3?

Hello,

The HE155 uses the hatm(4) driver. From the man page:

The hatm device driver supports the FORE (now Marconi) HE155 and HE622
ATM interface cards. The driver interfaces with the natm(4) framework,
netgraph(4) and the HARP ATM stack.  It provides only PVC services.
Signalling, ATMARP, ILMI and other higher layer protocols are
implemented using netgraph(4) or HARP.

So the remaing question is can the LS1010 do what you want. IIRC, the
LS1010 is very similar to the Catalyst 8500 series, Unfortunately, I am
more familiar with the latter than the former, so I cannot answer
definitively. I know it has support for PVCs, asymmetric circuits, and
bridging to a LAN, so I would be surprised if it couldn't (but not very
surprised, you know how Cisco can be some times ;-)).
To answer your last question about inherent differences in ATM, no. But
ATM is a protocol suite consisting of three layers: physical, ATM, and
AAL. Just be sure you use the same AAL config on each end. Because the
telco dictates their end, just match it and you're set.

HTH,

Stheg

HTH,

Stheg