From: Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, August 29, 2004 7:10 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: xf86config for Toshiba satellite pro laptop

Vaughan Moore wrote:

>I'm a complete newbie and I'm trying to set up X server on a Toshiba
>Satellite pro 4620dvd laptop.  Everytime I run through xf86cfg or
>xf86cfg -textmode I get the error message "The XFree86 configuration
process
>seems to have failed.  Would you like to try again?"  Obviously, this is a
>bit frustrating.

Sounds like it.  Wonder why?  Are you running the program with root
privileges?  (You should be...)

>Here are what I think are the valid parts of the XF86Config file, but I may
>be missing something - please let me know.
>
>InputDevice
>       Driver = "mouse"
>       Option = "Protocol" "Auto"
>       Option = "Device" "/dev/sysmous"
>InputDevice
>       Driver "Keyboard"
>       Option "Skbmode1" "pc101" (note: my laptop only has 85 keys"
>       Option "XkbLayout "us"
>Monitor
>       HorizSync 31.5-31.5
>       VertRefresh 50.0-70.0
>Card
>       Driver "s3"
>       VendorName "S3 Inc."
>       BoardName "86C270-294 Savage/IX-MV"
>       ChipSet "SuperSavage/IX64"
>       BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
>Screen
>       Default Depth 8
>       Display Depth 1
>       Display Depth 4
>       Display Depth 8
>       Modes "640x480"
>       Display Depth 15
>       Display Depth 16
>       Display Depth 24
>
>My main questions are:
>
>1) The Toshiba documentation and Web site do not tell me what my internal
>monitor's horizontal sync or vertical refresh rate is. (although it does
>give me refresh rates for an external monitor - 60/75/85 @16M colors).  Is
>there a place I can go to find this information?

Well, this is pretty common.  Many desktop monitors don't give such
information, either, and you either Google for it or guess, usually.  What
happens if you call "startx", or have you?

>2) Are there other obvious reasons the configuration would fail other than
>the monitor?

The most obvious one I can think of is that, IIRC, the driver for the
Savage chipsets is "savage", not "s3".  But I could be wrong; can't
remember ever trying X with the "savage" driver.  Have you tried the
"vesa" driver?  Might do something for ya...

Secondly, your Horizontal sync range isn't a range.  Perhaps opening
that up a bit would allow you to try it out.

Certainly there could be other issues as well.  I mentioned permissions
above, for one.  If you have the above in /etc/X11R6/XF86Config, if you
run "startx" you should get either a server running or some error output
in /var/log that might help...OTOH, I've never set up X on any laptop; I
don't know if it's unsafe to try with a relatively untested config
file.  But
the values look sane enough for a CRT display ...

>3) Are there any sites I can visit for more info?

XFree's site at xfree86.org; the FreeBSD handbook at
www.freebsd.org/handbook
come to mind.

>Thanks so much!

You are welcome.

>Vaughan Moore
>
>Also, did I post this to the right list?  If not, please let me know where
>it should go.

Works for me.

Kevin Kinsey