On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 04:46:22PM +0800, joshua yu wrote:

> i found that there is a  FIX-it CD with freebsd. but no documents found about it. is
> there any documents about it and tech me how to use it?
> thanks for your help.

The Fix-it CD (or floppy disk for that matter) is basically a self
contained FreeBSD system-on-a-CD.  When you boot it up, it leaves you
in what is essentially a single user shell.

Now, if you have plenty of unix knowledge this gives you everything
you need in order to fix just about any problem (beyond hardware
failure) that can prevent a system booting up to single user mode
itself.

Unfortunately, if you don't know your way around fsck(8), fdisk(8),
bsdlabel(8), newfs(8), mount(8) and various other commands from
section 8 of the manual, then you're not going to have a very pleasant
experience with the Fix-it disk.

Learn the nitty-gritty low-level parts of administering FreeBSD, and
you'll get everything you need to use the Fix-it disk effectively.
There's plenty of documentation on that sort of thing: from the
handbook and the system manual pages to several published books and
all manner of on-line resources.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                      Savill Way