I recently tried to ssh into my desktop from another machine, and found that
it doesn't work (it times out). I'm not sure what I need to do to make it
work. I'm running 5-CURRENT from August 3 (back when 5 was still -CURRENT).

I've confirmed that sshd is running (sshd_enable="YES" is in rc.conf). I've
checked /etc/ssh/sshd_config, and I haven't changed any of the defaults. My
firewall should allow this sort of thing, and just to make absolutely sure, I
told my firewall to (temporarily) let in _everything_ from the entire class B
network the remote machine is on. netstat says that my machine is listening
on port 22. And I can 'ssh localhost' from my desktop to itself (though it
does say, "socket: Protocol not supported" before successfully asking for my
password).

The remote machine in question is running OpenSSH_3.6.1p2, and I'm running
OpenSSH_3.8.1p1. I thought maybe for some odd reason ssh'ing out is blocked
on the remote machine, but then I remembered that a friend tried to ssh in
from his OS X laptop the other day, and that timed out the same way the
current remote machine is. And I don't get a "Permission denied" sort of
error on the remote machine, just a timeout.

Any ideas? Thanks,

-David

--
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please