On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 19:41:18 -0400, Len Zettel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

While i am not an expert in this area, I can not help but wonder---
Who are you worried about recovering the data, under what
circumstances? My best guess is that recovering anything from
even _one_ data over-write is going to require that the recoverer have
physical posession of the drive and very sophisticated equipment
indeed. That means they have to be some branch of a govermnment.
If you are going to attract attention of that caliber there are likely a lot
of other easier means of finding out what you are up to. Otherwise, a
good hot fire ought to be pretty final even for the CIA.
-LenZ-

I used to work in a lab and a co-worker had be a submarier for the US. He said that one of their projects was to figure out how to best destroy CDs for the government. Supposedly the CDs were recoverable even after cross-shredding. They either decided that melting them over a "heatsink" (coffee mug) in a microwave (also makes a nice ash tray) or going at them with an acetaline torch was the final solution.