From: Karl Swartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 09:53:32 -0700

> Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [209.x.y.z]
>
> 209.x.y.z is a static address with a DNS entry courtesy of my ISP.
>
> Any idea what the list's mta is looking for and how I can provide it?

By obfuscating the last three octets you destroyed the evidence needed
to fully help you.  The error text (cannot find your hostname) suggests
you don't have reverse DNS -- mail admins increasingly won't accept mail
from such hosts because that's often a sign of a mismanaged network
which also happens to be spewing spam.

However, your message includes a full 209 address in the headers:

209.240.79.79 does have reverse DNS, so if that's the address that was
not being accepted by the freebsd mail server it's a bit more puzzling.
Perhaps reverse DNS was temporarily unavailble.

Correct - the IP is indeed 209.240.79.79 and does have a reverse DNS. However, forward lookup for the same domain will yield a completely seperate address since I'm still tied to domaindirect's name servers and using some of their redirection. I'm beginning to suspect that that's where the problem is coming from.

Gene