I'm running snort 2.1.3 and mysql 3.23.58 on FreeBSD 4.9 RELEASE. All applications are built from ports.

Periodically I get /var full messages and everything comes to a grinding halt. The problem is, /var isn't full.

df -h will show /var at 104%, but du -h /var shows /var at 40% (for example). If I shut down snort and mysql, wait for a minute and then start them back up, df agrees with du again.

The system works fine because only /var is full (although things can get squirrelly if I let it go long enough because the system can't write to the logs or the mail spool), so I can still ssh in and run utilities.

I suspect this is some sort of filehandle not being released issue, but I'm not sure how to track it down. I've got lsof installed, but I'm not an expert on it yet.

Any hints would be welcomed. What's the best way to troubleshoot this problem?

Paul Schmehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member