Johan,

First of all, welcome!

FreeBSD isn't a distribution of linux, actually. FreeBSD is a derived
from an entirely different code base than Linux is. These days,
though, they share many common features and also differ in many areas.

To answer your questions; yes, FreeBSD does have full X windows
support, and many people are using and enjoying it these days.

The biggest difference between FreeBSD, slack, and Redhat are
numerous: FreeBSD is based off the BSD kernel and system, while the
Linux kernels are completely from the other side of the world
(literally) and come directly from Linus. You can get various
'distributions' of linux, all with various userland applications and
configuration methods but there is only *one* FreeBSD. When you
download the 5.2.1 or 4.10 release you can be confident that you're
getting FreeBSD, and that your skills in FreeBSD will directly
transfer to any FreeBSD system that you use (as far as the way that
things are configured, managed, and maintained)

The biggest thing for me is the ports system and the ease that FreeBSD
brings to installing packages. Just the other day I was using Fedora
and started to install something, only to find out that it needed a
dependency, which had two other dependencies that I had to go build
and install. On FreeBSD, all of that is done for you: the recursive
dependency installs, sanity checking, and everything.

Overall, give it a shot and feel free to ask questions. It's a great OS.

-tom