Jonathan Chen wrote:

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 09:42:16AM -0400, Mike Galvez wrote:

Is there a method to make this more expensive to the attacker, such as tar-pitting?

Put in a ipfw block on the netblock/country. At the very least it will make it pretty slow for the initial TCP handshake.

Cheers.

I don't know how this particular scanner works, but if was (to write) a scanner which is supposed to scan as many as possible hosts as quickly as possible, I would simply start sending out syn's as fast as I can or my master told me, without tracking to which hosts I sent one (just do a count upwards or something like that). Then I would simply collect those hosts that do respond with an ACK and put only them in the queue for further processing. Whether your host sends a nak or nothing is the same to me.
So I don't think a block will cause any significant harm to these attacks.