--- Josh Paetzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thursday 09 September 2004 16:58, Rishi Chopra
> wrote:
> > I just installed FreeBSD 5.2 on an old Dell
> (Pentium
> > 120).  The box has an ide controller onboard as
> well
> > as a Promise Ultra100 TX2 PCI controller card.
> > There's a 4GB hard drive attatched to the onboard
> > controller used for all of the system files (e.g.
> /,
> > /var, /tmp, and /usr) and a 200GB hard drive
> attached
> > to the PCI card with one giant 200GB FAT32
> partition
> > for data.
> >
> > The PCI card is recognized during boot (the card's
> > BIOS loads during bootup and a quick 'dmesg' shows
> > atapci1 entry), but I don't see any entries for
> the
> > drive under /dev (e.g. there's no /dev/ad1*
> > partitions).  I checked that the drive and
> controller
> > are working, since another computer with a win2k
> > installation seems them just fine.  The onboard
> > controller and attached system drive seem to work
> just
> > fine.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest why the PCI controller is
> > recognized but the drive attached to it isn't?
> What
> > should I do so that the drive is recognized?
> >
> > =====
> > Rishi Chopra
> > http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~rchopra
>
> The drive on the PCI adapter should show up as
> ad4***
> Don't know if that fixes your problem or not.
>
> --
> Thanks,
>
> Josh Paetzel

Unfortunately it doesn't; I checked the /dev directory
and there are no listings for anything other than ad0.
 The installation program presents me with the options
of using ad0 (the 4GB drive) and fd0 (zip drive).  The
kernel doesn't seem to recognize/load the 200GB drive!

I verified that the drive can be seen from DOS by
lodaing Ghost and Partition Magic; both programs are
able to see the drive just fine.  The kernel
documentation says that ad* are allocated dynamically
on bootup, so I don't think there needs to be an entry
in the kernel conf file, thought I might be
mistaken...

Anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be?

=====