Does anyone have experience with this motherboard, in particular using
sata drives?  Any ideas what's going on, and how to proceed?
I was hoping this was going to be relatively painless :-(

Do I need to bag 4.10 and go with 5.3 to get this to work?

I have an A7N8X-deluxe. And quite a few problems, actually.
Have never tried sata, however.

For me, a 4.10 cd will not boot. There has been a thread about
this on -stable for a while, and it turns out the problem is in the
firewire support somewhere. I built a kernel with the firewire
removed and it boots ok.

I just tried booting a 5.3-beta3 cd and that will not boot either.
It seems to quit around the same place the 4.10 boot cd
stops, so I wonder if it is the same problem...