On Sep 12, 2004, at 1:49 PM, mailing lists at MacTutor wrote:

Does anyone know of how to burn Mac OS X .dmg images under FBSD?

I have .dmg files from an OSX system (10.3.x) that I want to convert to ISO images (if necessary) for burning to cd/dvd. I can't find anything in the list archives about this.

On MacOS X use the command line utility "hdiutil" (see man page) to convert to .iso, shoot that file over to FreeBSD and then use either burncd or cdrecord.

Open a Terminal window on MacOS to get a shell then do something like this:

% hdiutil makehybrid -o my.iso my.dmg -hfs -joliet -iso

For some reason the above with -hfs generates a .iso file which mounts when double-clicked but an icon does not appear on the desktop. It may have something to do with the particular .dmg file I used. However double-clicking the .dmg file appears on the desktop as expected. Remove -hfs from the hdiutil command and the default appearance is different than .dmg but otherwise produced a desktop icon for the mounted volume as expected.

Normally MacOS X mounts .iso files as a volume when one double-clicks, and the icon appears on the desktop. But not with the .dmg file converted to .iso with -hfs that I was playing with just now. It mounted but without the desktop icon. Was listed in /Volumes/ and with df(1). Had to use "hdiutil detach /dev/disk6s2" to get rid of it. Or logout/login did the trick as well.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, [EMAIL PROTECTED]