On Sun, 12 Sep 2004, Sujit Dey wrote:

>  127.0.0.1, but using "/usr/local/sbin/apachectl start", can't start
> the Apache server. It is giving httpd can not be started. I followed

> [alert] mod_unique_id: unable to gethostbyname()

Set the hostname in /etc/rc.conf (add 'hostname='www.foo.com' in the
/etc/rc.conf file),

        # /etc/rc.conf
        hostname="www.foo.com"

and/or add it to the /etc/hosts file as

        # /etc/hosts
        ::1 localhost localhost.foo.com www.foo.com
        127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.foo.com www.foo.com

and/or edit /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf and uncomment and set the
value in 'ServerName' in the top 1/3 of the file:

        #/usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf
        #
        # ServerName allows you to set a host name which is sent back to clients for
        # your server if it's different than the one the program would get (i.e., use
        # "www" instead of the host's real name).
        #
        # Note: You cannot just invent host names and hope they work. The name you
        # define here must be a valid DNS name for your host. If you don't understand
        # this, ask your network administrator.
        # If your host doesn't have a registered DNS name, enter its IP address here.
        # You will have to access it by its address (e.g., http://123.45.67.89/)
        # anyway, and this will make redirections work in a sensible way.
        #
        # 127.0.0.1 is the TCP/IP local loop-back address, often named localhost. Your
        # machine always knows itself by this address. If you use Apache strictly for
        # local testing and development, you may use 127.0.0.1 as the server name.
        #
        ServerName www.foo.com

Dw.