On Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 11:16:51PM -0700, Joshua Tinnin wrote:
> On Monday 06 September 2004 11:11 am, Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Another way: - this changes the default database (btriev) to hash
> >
> > setenv PORTS_DBDRIVER bdb1_hash
> >
> > then run your portdb -u
> > In fact, I opted for this one. I now run my ports tree updating
> > scripts as I did BEFORE these issues.
>
> What sort of effect might this have elsewhere? I'm sure this fix works,
> but is there something else that could get borked by changing the
> default database?

The only two files this change might affect are /usr/ports/INDEX.db
and (possibly)[1] /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db.  In either case all it will cause
to happen is that the file will be replaced by a file using a
different on-disk data structure, but containing exactly the same
data.

As both of those .db files are created by the portupgrade(1) suite of
tools as a quick reference version of the data in
/usr/ports/INDEX{,-5} in one case, or /var/db/pkg in the other,
trashing the files is not the end of the world -- they can be rebuilt
fairly easily from scratch.  Anyway it's only the portupgrade(1) tools
that are likely to be directly affected by that sort of corruption.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

[1] Actually, I think you'ld have to set PKG_DBDRIVER=bdb1_hash to
affect /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db similarly.  However, the chances of that
file growing large enough to trigger the bdb1_btree bug are fairly
remote.

                                                      Savill Way