I've been having similar problems with the system hanging. I received a lot of helpful information and suggestions here, and haven't tried installing X yet, but have gotten past the boot. Unfortunately, the solution (so far) has been to use an older release.

Nvidia has FreeBSD drivers posted on it's web site. In the README.txt file there, I found the statement,

"FreeBSD -STABLE versions older than 4.9 are not supported.
"Note that if you are using FreeBSD 4.10, the NVIDIA driver will not work
correctly by default; please refer to the FAQ section for details. If you
are using a -CURRENT kernel more recent than 05/25/2004, this may apply
to your system, as well."

There are instructions for applying patches, but they are all executed after BSD is running, and being a newbie myself I couldn't come up with a way to use them. So, I tried all the 5 installs and the 4.10 installs, and kept getting the same hanging installation until I got to 4.9. In my case, the hang happened after the line installing my CD Drive. During the 4.9 install, the next step is the switch to /root. There is a delay between the two (at first I thought I was back to the beginning again) but it did start. Again, I haven't gotten to X, yet.

If any of the regulars read this, how would I go about reporting this to the bug teams (or finding out if it is a known issue)?

Bill

esmaeel pashapouri wrote:

Hello list.
I am trying to setup freebsd on a new hp pavilion with
the following configuration.
cpu: amd64
mem: 1Gb
hd:  160 Gb
gc: nVIDIA GeForce FX5200XT AGP 8X with 128Mb
dvd: 1 nec dvd rw/cd rw
cd:  1 cd 48x r
sc: integrated sound card not sure on details of it
but windows show it as ac97
monitor: sharp 17" lcd

I have downloaded and burned 5.2.1 amd64-disc1.iso and
disk2 also.
But when trying to boot of cd, the boot process starts
and after the listing of some devices gets hanged, the
last line on the screen is,
pcm: measured ac97 link rate at 16109 Hz

The hard boot gets the computer start over again.

I have tried 5.3 beta3 and no succes there eather.

Any pointer to any document or links to help get past
this point would be apritiated greatly.

thanks esmaeel