Hi..

Due to unreliable hardware, I transferred my (very lightly loaded) webserver from it's own machine, running FreeBSD 5.2, to a jail on alternate machine running 4.10-STABLE (Cvsup'd as of 14/9/04).

The new system is a Pentium III, 1GHz, 384Mb RAM, dual 40Gb drives (on a SiL 0680 ATA133 Raid controller, as RAID 1) it's running mysqld as well, but should be able to cope.

I installed latest versions of all the software, (ran portupgrade) but just copied over the apache config folder from /usr/local/etc on the other machine. It's not complained. The data area was nfs mounted from the machine I just moved apache to, so I've just nfs-mounted this at the appropriate mount point inside the jail.

The problem is, I'm getting a lot of stalled connections when accessing the webserver. running netstat on the host shows e.g.:

tcp4 0 0 jade.http 212.57.246.42.35590 FIN_WAIT_1 tcp4 0 0 jade.http 212.57.246.42.35585 ESTABLISHED tcp4 0 0 jade.http 212.57.246.42.35555 CLOSING

This one is me - while this FIN_WAIT_1 is present, I cannot persuade my browser (Opera 7.52 on Windows 2K) to work - it sits with "Sending request to www..." in the status line. Pressing refresh does nothing... as soon as the FIN_WAIT_1 vanishes, then everything is OK again, for a few more minutes.

I'm running apache-1.3.31_4 in the jail, which was set up simply as per the jail man page, then ssh enabled.

No software firewall (this server is behind a NATing ADSL router, the configuration of which has not changed bar the http port-forwarding IP address, and I am behind a hardware firewall, ditto no changes. I do block ICMP on my firewall, but it's never caused this sort of problem before.

Googling for FIN_WAIT_1 throws up some hits about a DoS vulnerability, but nothing I can see that relates to the problem I am having. This is hardly a complicated configuration, so is there something I am missing, some kernel configuration issue maybe, that I should know about?

Any pointers towards where I should look next would be much appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Rob O'Donnell.