http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/schedule.html

> Also, since I have 5.3-BETA1 and I see it's at 5.3-BETA5, should I
> worry about upgrading to BETA5 or just wait till it goes stable?

I'm no authority, but I don't see that it matters much unless you're
having problems with BETA1.  I have some test machines that are
running 5.3, so I compile/install weekly with each BETA release.
If you're using the system for any "real" work, you may want to just
wait (unless, as I've said, you're having specific problems).

Kevin