On 21/9/04 1:33 pm, "Lowell Gilbert"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Pota Kalima <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> Thanks for all your responses. I must add that I am not a programmer, so all
>> that the verbose stuff did not mean much too. I bit the bullet and started
>> afresh - re-installed 5.2.1.
>>
>> I find that I could ssh to the machine itself, okay - as KeS suggested. The
>> process ends with the machine connecting to itself!
>>
>> What I still cannot do is to ssh from another machine (Laptops MacOS X or
>> windoz) which I would really like to do. On the mac I get this
>>
>> $ ssh -vvv 192.168.0.5
>> OpenSSH_3.6.1p1+CAN-2004-0175, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090702f
>> debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
>> debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be
>> trusted.
>> debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
>> debug1: Connecting to 192.168.0.5 [192.168.0.5] port 22.
>> debug1: connect to address 192.168.0.5 port 22: Permission denied
>> ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.5 port 22: Permission denied
>>
>> $
Just to give yo an update. After a couple of re-installs, I was able to self
ssh connect to the FreeBSD box. This I notice was possible by turning off
"named" in rc.conf. Sadly, without this enabled I find I cannot connect to
the internet.

I think I have narrowed the fault down to ssh from mac os x because I could
connect from ssh client on windoz. On mac os x I get same message
[ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.5 port 22: Permission denied] when the
freebsd box is switched on or OFF!!

I guess I will have to try mac lists for a solution.

pota