> What is recommended for a public, 'free-for-all',
> anyone can read or write directory on FreeBSD?
>
> What are the reasons for preferring one place
> over another?
>
> Would these work?
>
> /usr/local/share/sambapublic/
> /usr/share/sambapublic/
> /home/sambapublic/

I recommend a separate partition, so that when it eventually gets filled up
-- and these things always do -- your system will not be adversly affected.
You can mount the partition wherever you want. In your three examples,
"sambapublic" could be a file system mounted on /usr/local/share,
/usr/share, or /home.

What we are talking about here is the OS view. To the Windows user what
counts is the share name. On server fattoad, any one of these directories
could be shared out as "pub" (or whatever name you like). The windows users
will not see the OS pathname.

Gary Dunn
Honolulu