> On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 05:10:00PM -1000, Gary Dunn wrote: > > It started with a bug-fix update to one part of XFree86. After I > > installed it, my Gnome panel refused to load some applets. As the Gnome > > desktop opens I get error dialogs like these: > > > <SNIP> > > > > I ran pkg_version and noticed that all of XFree86 had newer versions, > > from 4.2 to 4.4. I thought I was out of whack and just needed to update > > the whole thing. I did portupgrade XFree86, but it failed here: > > If sucha command fails then this is sometimes because the packages that > it relies on also needs to be rebuild. Try portupgrade -fR XFree86\* > > <SNIP> > > > =-=-=-=-= > > > > I googled this and found one previous posting in August, but no reply. > > > > I updated my ports and 4.10 STABLE source trees and rebuilt my kernel, > > but that did not help. > > It shoudn't > > > > > Does it matter that my sources are on an NFS server and I only mount one > > at a time (/usr/ports or /usr/src)? > > No its not a problem for as far as i can see. It would be handy to have > you working directory localy (can be set by /etc/make.conf). This speeds up > things. > > -- > Alex
Thanks for the help. I went ahead yesterday and hacked away for awhile, and worked around the problem. The reason I was nervous about those portupgrade flags is that in the past portupgrade has made a mess of things, doing too much at a time, and they are not mentioned in the note in the XFree86-4 port. I figured, if it needed those dependency checks it would have said so. Too conservative? The first fix was a dependency on /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/ddx.txt which always failed because the file extension is is caps -- ddx.TXT. I made a link so both versions were there and got past that point. The second fix solved a problem building fonts, where one of the make files was trying to run perl with a program called ucs2any. This stopped with "Unrecognized character \177 at /usr/X11R6/bin/ucs2any line 1." On my system, that file is a binary; there is a ucs2any.pl in the same directiry. I renamed the bin and linked the .pl to the no -extension version, and the fonts built perfectly. Now I'm working through my pkg_version report, and everything sems to be fine. Thanks again; maybe I'll have the nerve to try that next time. Gary Dunn Honolulu _______________________________________________ [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"