At 11:40 AM 25/09/2004, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Ah, so the capacity of a FreeBSD router is > 10 million packets per second, since 200K pps only uses .1 % of system resources. Kudos to the FreeBSD team for developing a stack that uses no resources.

.... For the record, what I was saying was that a decent machine (e.g. 2.4 PIV) should be able to push 200,000 packets per second with decent NICs (em, or fxp) and with a median packet size (see www.caida.org) of about 540 bytes, that works out to ~ 100Mb/s.

Since its clear you have no idea what you're talking about, perhaps if someone who actually does would like to pipe in it would be useful.

I am sure many others will be happy to help you...

---Mike