Pelle Andersson wrote:
Hi!

I have a lot of login attempts from various networks and IP addresses
on my FBSD 4.10 server. I have read the man pages for hosts.deny but
do not understand how to add networks and IP addresses to it.

Let's say I want to block the network address 192.168.100.0 and/or
the IP address 192.168.135.77.

As far as I understood, the use of /etc/hosts.deny is (going to be?) depreciated. Instead use deny rules in /etc/hosts.allow. For example:

  ALL : 192.168.100.0 192.168.135.77 : deny

This does: for all services that actually using the /etc/hosts.allow,
it will deny all access by these two IP numbers.

However, notice that there are services that do not use the hosts.allow,
and those won't be affected. So if you want a full proof block of these
IP numbers, you better make a firewall rule to deny their access.

Rob.