Joshua Tinnin wrote:

On Sunday 10 October 2004 01:35 pm, Alan Gerber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Joshua Tinnin wrote:

On Sunday 10 October 2004 12:47 pm, Alan Gerber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

I recently decided to update my 5.2.1-p9 system to the latest beta
to check out the improvements in ACPI code on my Dell Latitude
D600 laptop. So I updated sources and went through the usual
[build|install][world|kernel] procedure as described in the
handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworl
d.h tml

Did you rebuild your ports? If you haven't done this, you probably
should, as GCC has been updated. While you're at it you might want
to remove the mapping in libmap.conf and rebuild for the new
library versions in BETA7. I'm not sure if that will solve your
ACPI problems, but it has to be done anyway.

Yes. I have rebuilt each of my installed ports, so in theory the
libmap.conf mappings should be unnecessary. The problem still
persists after removing the mappings, so it doesn't look like that
has an affect on the problem either way.

OK, well I doubted that was it, but just wanted to check.

Have you tried booting without ACPI, such as: hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"
in /boot/device.hints? I realize this defeats the purpose of your updating, but it might be worth seeing if it works without it.

- jt

Yes. APM takes over in this case, and the box is usable. However, it does the same thing without booting with ACPI disabled - it merely prints out the error message noted above and goes on its merry way - there is nothing preventing me from using the system whatsoever.

--
Alan Gerber