Thomas Beer wrote:

Dear All,

I searched the FBSD site and the web for a compendium
how to updat from 4.x to 5.x but was unsuccessful.

Any pointers?

Thanks Tom

Recommendations up until the present time have been to backup data and reinstall from scratch. This allows you to format new filesystems as ufs2.

Some users have reported success in using "make
buildworld" and so forth ... as another poster mentioned
this morning, this is fraught with danger for the inexperienced.

Bruce Mah of the FreeBSD Documentation Project has mentioned
the need for updating the installation materials to reflect the
new realities of operating in a 5-STABLE world.  I do not know
at what stage this part of the project is currently hovering, but
he has at the very least *started* writing a "Migration guide";
the link is here:

http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/pub/article.html

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey