On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Rishi Chopra wrote:

Is there a way to issue a shutdown command that
doesn't require me to press a key to reboot?

Currently when I enter the command 'shutdown -p' the
system shuts down gracefully but I have to press a key
to reboot the system.

Ultimately I'd like to be able to power-off the system
gracefully without requiring the user (me) to press a
key  afterwards.

Check if you have the acpi kernel module loaded. Without it, the "shutdown -p" can't shutoff the computer without human intervention. At least in no way I know.

/andreas