Kris Kennaway wrote:

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 07:11:25PM -0500, Eric Crist wrote:

Hello all,

I don't know why, but my system keeps restarting at about 14:00 or 14:30 every day. Really starting to p!ss me off. Any ideas what could be causing this, or how I could find it?

Could be internal (e.g. cron job doing something special) or external
(e.g. something else causing a massive drain on the power line at the
time, dropping the voltage supplied to your system) factors.

I've also experienced this due to CPU overheating; but it wasn't in the afternoon. An early morning cron job doing backups via tar and scp over a network caused the CPU (which had a dying fan) to overheat and the system shut down as a result, as near as we could tell in post-mortem. BIOS was apparently set to allow it to restart, and loads during the workday never peaked enough to tax the CPU as much as the nightly backup. Something of an interesting detective case (for us).

Kevin Kinsey