On Oct 14, 2004, at 1:41 PM, Lynette Tillner wrote:

I did this, and even did a reboot of the server but the messages haven't
stopped. Since this is a machine managed by my ISP (I don't have a full
dedicated server, just a Virtual Private Server with 2 gig of disk space)
could something be overriding my syslog.conf file? I looked at rc.conf but
didn't see anything that I thought was appropriate to comment out.

Also, I can't switch to another tty because my only access is remote --- I
don't have console access.

Thanks!
Lynette

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Crist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Kevin Glick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "'Lynette Tillner'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 12:12 PM
Subject: Re: how do I suppress system messages?

On Oct 13, 2004, at 2:08 PM, Kevin Glick wrote:

Lynette,

System messages print out to the console on tty0 only, by default.  If
you
want to use the console, switch to tty1 or above.  Do this by
ALT+2(tty1),
ALT+3(tty2), etc.
When you're in Vi, and syslog prints across the screen, using CTRL+L
will
re-draw the screen, and remove the syslog messages.
If you want to get rid of the messages altogether, look into disabling
syslogd, via /etc/rc.conf.  (Man syslogd, or check
/etc/defaults/rc.conf for
syslogd.

Kevin Glick
ITS Manager
Sterling Business Forms
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'm sure this is something that is being overridden by your ISP and the jail system they have set up. I would suggest you talk to them and see if they have something they can do to disable it.

HTH
-----
Eric F Crist
Secure Computing Networks