Kenneth Culver wrote:
well, my usage pattern is write a big file and few seconds later read it. So my tests
were valid for the use of the computer.

But you have reason, I must provide a more formal report. I redid all test
with bonnie++ and results shows Linux (56848 K/sec) two times faster than
FreeBSD (26347 K/sec)

Any help will be appreciated!

Linux test (slackware 8.1, kernel 2.4.18, ext2 filesystem):

This test isn't really a fair test either. The ext2 filesystem uses async io,
and doesn't do any kind of journaling to ensure data integrity in the event of
a crash. FreeBSD isn't using async, it uses softupdates. Because of this
FreeBSD SHOULD be slower... but it'll be a lot more reliable than linux in the
event of a power outage for example. The ext2 filesystem is extremely
unreliable, and will almost always lose data when there's a crash or power
outage.

but then why does read/write tests over raw devices performs so bad? AFAIK on raw devices not filesystem, journaling, caches, etc are involved. _______________________________________________ [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"