fetchmail is a MTA (mail transfer agent). you can install it from ports/mail.
it is easy to configure the first time you run it. but make sure you can
download your yahoo mail by pop3 first. people have suggested it is a paying
yahoo feature. fetchmail doc is readable at http://catb.org/~esr/fetchmail/

checking your mail from remote means you can access your computer from another
location (eg, your work place), start pine, and process mail like if you were
home. to connect to your computer you must use ssh, as telnet is grossly
insecure. but don't worry about this in the first place.