On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 11:20:35AM +0100, Lewis Thompson wrote:

> I'm just wondering if anybody can tell me how I can build sendmail from
> world with LDAP support.  I currently have SASL support enabled in
> make.conf (copied examples from defaults/make.conf) and hoped it might
> be possible to do the same for LDAP.  Can anybody tell me if this is the
> case?  Thanks,

This is certainly possible, or, at least by my reading of various
files, it should be possible.  See the mail/sendmail port --
particularly files/site.config.m4.ldap and Makefile for details. I
think that what you need to do is:

    - install one of the net/openldap2{2,1}-{sasl-,}client ports
      according to taste

    - edit the /etc/make.conf settings and append:

      '-I/usr/local/include -DLDAPMAP'  to SENDMAIL_CFLAGS

      '-L/usr/local/lib'  to SENDMAIL_LDFLAGS (if it isn't there already)

      '-lldap -llber' to SENDMAIL_LDADD

Then recompile and reinstall sendmail.  There's plenty in
/usr/share/sendmail/cf/README on how to configure sendmail to use its
LDAP support once it has it.  I think, but I'm not at all sure, that
you should configure sendmail with both SASL and LDAP support for best
results.

I'd be interested in hearing how you get on with this -- plus it would
probably be a good note to add to the default make.conf file.

Alternatively, you can just install the mail/sendmail-ldap port.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                      Savill Way