On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 10:11:02 -1000 (HST), Vincent Poy
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Kirk R. Wythers wrote:
>
> > I just ran into a problem trying to install the 5.0 world. I thought I
> > checked and had 30M free on / before I started this. However, after
> > building, the world, building the kernel, installing the kernel, running
> > mergemaster -p, I went to install the world and got the error 'out of
> > space on /'
> >
> > I need to find some room, but I'm a little nervous about what I can rm.
> > Here is what I'm looking at:
> >
> > 1)       / partition is 79M, 64M are used (I was almost sure there was
> > more room than that on / before I satarted).
> > 2)       /tmp is on it's own partition
> > 3)       du -h on subdirectories breakdown like this.
> >       a.       18M /boot
> >       b.       1.4M /etc
> >       c.       3.7M /kernel
> >       d.       3.9M /kern.GENERIC
> >       e.       6M /modules
> >       f.         21M /sbin
> >       g.       2.1M /stand
> >
> > as you can see that pretty much accounts for it. The rest of the stuff
> > is pretty small.
> >
> > I need to know if I can delete any of this stuff and still successfully
> > do a 'make installworld'?
> >

> /modules can all be deleted since these are now in /boot
> /sbin
> /stand
> should stay

You could also remove /stand, as most of it's functionality has been
moved to the the /rescue directory.

Also, make sure that Soft-Updates is turned off on your root
directory.  Because Soft-Updates doesn't immediately free the space on
the drive.

Scot