I'm running FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE on a P166 and trying to copy very
large (but under 4 gig) files from FreeBSD to a Windows 98 (Second
Edition) P866 machine.  Neither machine has much other load.  (The
FreeBSD version probably doesn't matter; I've seen this on many 4.x
revisions in the same hardware configuration.  My network is 100BaseTX
Ethernet and uses a hub, though during this test there are no machines
on the LAN other than these two.  I only see a few packet collisions
per minute on the dc0 interface of the FreeBSD machine, which is the
interface on this LAN and which produces the following info at boot
time:

dc0: <ADMtek AN985 10/100BaseTX> port 0xfc00-0xfcff mem 0xffbefc00-0xffbeffff irq 10
at device 20.0 on pci0
miibus0: <MII bus> on dc0
ukphy0: <Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface> on miibus0
ukphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto

Anomaly:  Contrary to Sharity-Light docs, which say smbfs is faster,
A Win98 share as just described accepts data about three times faster
if mounted via shlight than if mounted via smbfs.  I'm wondering if
anyone knows why.  (For comparison, I believe ftp moves about two
times even faster than shlight.)

Please Cc me directly.

Thanks very much for any input.

--