Chris Neustrup wrote:
Henrik W Lund wrote:

Chris Neustrup wrote:

I am trying to upgrade from 5.2.1 to 5.3 current. I am

Greetings!

Don't know how you can fix this, but you don't need to install gcc3.4 from ports. Upgrading from 5.2.1 to 5.3 can be done in the make buildworld, make buildkernel, make installkernel, make installworld procedure outlined in the handbook. The buildworl target will populate

Hi Henrik,
           I got as far as the make buildworld, and then an X11 failure
occurred:

===> gnu/usr.bin/groff/font/devX75
===> gnu/usr.bin/groff/font/devX75-12
===> gnu/usr.bin/groff/font/devascii
rm -f /usr/ports/x11-fonts DESC
rm: /usr/ports/x11-fonts: is a directory
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff/font/devascii.

This has happened before when I was doingsome X11 upgrades. Do you see anything wrong with this?

Peace, cn.
Hmm... Cryptic make failures like that are puzzling. The best advice I can give is to clean out cruft from earlier builds by doing:

cd /usr/src && make cleanworld

then trying again. If that doesn't work, try cvsupping again to pull some fresh sources. If that doesn't work /either/, I'm all out of ideas, sorry. :-( Maybe someone more intimate with the build procedure can shed some light?

--
Henrik W Lund