On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, Richard Bradley wrote:

Hi,

I want to run stream based commands like `sed` and `tr` on the contents of a
file, and save the results to the same file.

Obviously I can do this with a temporary file:

$sed s/dog/cat/ myanimals.txt > tmp.txt
$mv tmp.txt myanimals.txt

But is there any way I can do this with a single command?

Not sure about tr but sed does give the -i option to edit in place.

I'm not sure about a more general solution though.

My first guess would be a "buffer" command that reads a file into memory (or into a temp file) then pipes it to stdout, e.g.

$cat myanimals.txt | buffer | sed s/dog/cat/ > myanimals.txt

But there isn't one which, in my experience of BSD, means it either wouldn't
work or there is a better way to do it :-)

Having read through the Bash manual and run some experiments, it seems that
the ">" operator truncates an output file to zero length before any commands
are run.

So my missing command becomes:

$cat myanimals.txt | sed s/dog/cat | bufferedwrite myanimals.txt

I can't find anything like this anywhere -- any ideas what the "proper" way to
do this is?

Thanks in advance,

Rich