On 2004-10-21 18:29, Odhiambo Washington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A quick question:
>
> On the client machine, I have:
>
> *.*           @loghost
>
> Then on loghost, I want to split logs coming from the client machine
> into different files. I want separate log file for imapd, pop3d, etc.
>
> How do I do this with stock syslogd?

Look at the `+hostname' specification in syslog.conf(5).  You can use
something like this:

        +host1
        *.*             /var/log/remote/host1/messages

        +host2
        *.*             /var/log/remote/host2/messages

in your `syslog.conf' file.

Please note that adding this to the end of the syslog.conf file will
not inhibit logging of the same messages to /var/log/messages or any
other matches found earlier.  Thus, this syslog.conf file:

        *.*             /var/log/messages

        +foo
        *.*             /var/log/remote/foo/messages

Will log the messages from host `foo' both in /var/log/messages *AND*
/var/log/remote/foo/messages.

To make syslogd log the messages from host `foo' only in
/var/log/remote/foo/messages you'd have to use something like this:

        -foo
        *.*             /var/log/messages

        +foo
        *.*             /var/log/remote/foo/messages

Multiple hosts can be specified like this:

        -foo,bar
        *.*             /var/log/messages

        +foo
        *.*             /var/log/remote/foo/messages

        +bar
        *.*             /var/log/remote/bar/messages

Regards,
Giorgos