Can't seem to find this info in man page, or elsewhere.

I'm trying to figure out how to update the /dev directory after inserting a CD to show the CD's tracks. The /dev direcotry does list the CD tracks (/dev/acd0t01...02...) but only after i try to access the disk erroneously through mount /cdrom. I have a shell script that can dump the tracks once they've appeared, but my script dies when the filenames arent present. Is there a command that will "refresh" the direcory after CD is inserted?

Thanks

Eric