On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 12:45:55AM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2004-10-23 22:52, John Oxley wrote:
> > >
> > > Emacs is perfectly fine for most of this.
> >
> > Not to start a flame war on which is the better editor, but vim with
> > ctags is my way.
>
> Yeah, I know :-)
>
> I use both Emacs and vim, with reasonable levels of comfort.  I haven't found
> a way to convince ctags that it's ok for a tag to appear multiple times (which
> can really be annoying when editing the sources of a kernel, where names are
> *bound* to appear multiple times), but I know what you mean.

Are you using exuberant ctags?  I've had problems with various other ctags
programs choking before, but exuberant has usually worked instead.  Now
I know that I had some programs with exuberant ctags with the linux kernel
before, but I think if exuberant knows all the defines then it should be
able to figure out which tag is correct by way of the c pre-processor.

By the way, my ide is vim+make+ctags, plus which several add-on vim
scripts, I get everything I need including tab completion with preview
as your typing the name, a list of functions, defines, global variables
on the side of the window and a script to control gdb from with-in vim;
what more could I ask for.

BTW, the reason I prefer, and recommend using some general editor like
vim vs. a full blown ide is convenience.  I really like using vim as a
text editor and I hate having to learn new keys and everything else when
I need to change IDEs.  I've had to use tde, dynamic c, and many other
IDEs which can't even agree on what key repeats a search.  Most IDEs
support using and external editor and recognize when a file has changed
outside of the editor so using GVim on windoze or Vim on any unix
machine has proved much more convenient then any ide I've used.

--
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.

Fingerprint: B3B9 D669 69C9 09EC 1BCD  835A FAF3 7A46 E4A3 280C