Gert Cuykens wrote:

Can you do as much with perl as you can do with php ?

I should think so.
In fact, I am pretty sure you can do far more with Perl than with PHP...
There are so many modules for perl, I think there's hardly anything short of
writing a compiler or operating system that cannot be done in perl (and possibly even that)...

Or are you referring to web development specifically? In that regard, I think the two are pretty
close in terms of what they allow you to do.
PHP has a strong plus since it's embeddable in HTML, and a strong minus, because I did not
get a debugger to work with it...
I for one prefer Perl a lot, since it's really an all-round language whereas PHP was designed with
web development in mind; true, nowadays you can also write GUIs in PHP, but it wasn't meant to do
that...

However, I think - if you are in fact talking about web development - Perl vs. PHP is more a matter of taste
(or other circumstances) than a technical one.

Kind regards,
Benjamin