On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 04:45:13 +0200, ADNET Ghislain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

  The init process can watch daemon and respawn died ones on linux with
simple configuration. I tried to reproduce this in my FreeBSD server. I
know this can be done also as the man page says:

     Init can also be used to keep arbitrary daemons running, automatically
     restarting them if they die.  In this case, the first field in the
     ttys(5) file must not reference the path to a configured device
node and
     will be passed to the daemon as the final argument on its command line.
     This is similar to the facility offered in the AT&T System V UNIX
     /etc/inittab.

but no matter how i tweak the ttys file  i cannot make it to work.

Does any FreeeBSD guru can help me make the step from linux complete as
i cannot find help about this anywhere (the freeBSD admin book do not
speak of it and google is silent about freeBSD specific ttys "inittab
like" settings).

A simple exemple will do the trick, basicaly i need this to keep spamd,
clamd running (with better and safer way  than using a while 1 loop on
the shell).

Best regards,
Ghislain.

Best to post this to freebsd-questions. -- Terry --------------------------------------------------------

you are right this is a bsd newby question ;)
here we go :) !

i pray the BSD god for an answer, yet humans are probably the best source of information out there so if any mere mortal can help me with my init question it will save some goats from the sacrificial ritual...

Best regards,
Ghislain